Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Percy the Poodle

Meet the newest member of the family!
Percy has been with us since mid March of this year.  He will celebrate his first birthday November 22.  After failing miserably for years, we finally found a dog who loves us.  He is still not completely house trained - the kids are up stairs as I write this cleaning up some poo from under the bed.  He is learning, though.  The accidents are getting fewer, usually when a small child forgets to take him out while we are out for our evening walk.

Anyway, Percy is learning a few basic tricks.  This is him sitting very pretty.  And my shoe that he is not eating.  So, progress is being made.  He is crate trained and when we tell him to go to bed, he goes.  He will ask for permission before jumping in my lap.  If I tell him no, he goes away - for a while anyway.  He buries all his bones in the couch or under my arm.  He is certainly my third child.  

The kids think he is the best dog ever.  They do help with the added responsibility of an additional pet.  They put him out in the morning and feed and water him.  They are great!

Okay, so now I have to brag about my youngest.  Percy eats the finest food - Science Diet - at the same time everyday.  He is not allowed people food.  He has several rawhide bones and is given treats on a regular basis.  But what he really wants is people food and will beg, jump and even steal if given the chance.  This evening we had some fries sitting on the coffee table that were not being monitored.  Percy saw this as a great opportunity.  He stretched as far as he could and barely reached one fry that was sticking a little further out than the others.  He began to pull on the fry when I fussed at him.  He pushed the fry back in the box and ran off!  I have never seen a dog put food away before.  So, I just had to brag, he is learning after all.

No comments: