Friday, February 20, 2009
My dog
Okay - so I just have to speak my mind here. I have a miniature poodle named Percy. He's featured in a couple of earlier blogs. Anyway, Percy is crated during the day. By himself while we are at work. Now, most experts will tell you that that is the best way to house train a dog. It also gives them a place where they can feel safe. Dogs that are crated do not feel as much anxiety. They don't freak out about being left alone. Now, recently I found a little dog I was seriously considering buying from a rescue organization in Colorado. She is named Peaches and she looks just like Percy except with a long tail. Who knew poodles tails were docked? I thought it was a naturally short tail? But I digress. So I was looking into the organization and basically she (the owner/operator) said that people like me are cruel to crate our dogs. Alright, here is where I am going with this... my dog loves his bed. He goes to bed in the morning after he is finished eating and waits for us to lock it when we leave. He takes his treasure there; underwear, bones, food he finds on the ground, heck even the cat. If it is dark or cold outside, he will run there when we try to put him outside. Just tonight I had to drag him out of bed to put him outside. In his mind going outside is cruel. He feels safe and secure in his bed. So, I am sure I will get comments blasting me for crating my dog, but he loves it. It's his bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Percy is just fine. He is only kenneled for bed and when you are gone for a while. He is out of the kennel otherwise. You do not abuse him and he is a very happy dog.
If he lived in the kennel and was never out, there would be issues, but he is on the furniture, participates with the family, goes outside and plays, etc. His bed is the kennel....
Yes, well tell that to the poodle rescue place that says kenneling them is cruel. BTW - have you seen his new hair cut. I caved and paid someone to do it. He actually looks like a poodle. Rick liked the scruffy looking dog better. Now he looks like a wimp.
When Faith goes to work, she crates me, and I do feel safe. Problem is when I have an accident and must endure the aroma till Faith comes home.
Well, Percy knows better than to go in his bed...
See... See?! That's what I keep telling Faith.
She'll probably keep me in the bathroom until her return
How 'bout the 1/2 bath? It's not so big that you would feel unsafe.
I absolutely at a loss for words at Bruce's comment.......
ewww......
Well, I'm not supposed to be around sharp objects or my rifle collection unsupervised.......... bad things have happened in the past!!
I thought Faith was the one who isn't supposed to be around sharp objects.
I always thought it was better to crate dogs rather than letting them run all over your house while you are gone. I am certainlny no expert and I don't even really like dogs, but I think crating them is better for them and for your sanity! Some people just get WAAAAAY too in to their animals...remember that before us humans starting sticking them in our purses and driving around with them, they used to just wander outside and they SURVIVED! I am sure a little crate won't hurt them one bit!!!
Thanks Beth. I don't carry him around in a purse - that's crazy, but he does wear a coat outside when it's below zero ;-)
Well, hope your purse is yellow in color...... He he he
Maybe Faith needs a yellow purse....
Yellow purse?? That can be arranged.... we have 5 cats!!
wow, that was fun reading the exchange between you guys. I even forgot what I was originally going to say. Hmmm.... oh yeah, children, pets, political candidates, etc. - people always have their opinions. As long as you feel you're doing the best for your dog and that he does feel safe and loved, that's all that matters. Sounds like miss poodle rescue princess is in need of a good muzzle! : )
Well, I must say, when I come to your home to visit and we all go to run errands and Percy is given the choice of going outside in the warm, beautiful weather, or going to "bed" and he basically gives you the finger and goes to his bed, I would bet he is quite happy in his bed........quit worrying, he is fine.....
Post a Comment